Privacy Complaints


Making a privacy complaint

If you believe that the University or one of its officers has breached your privacy when handling your personal information, you have the right to make a privacy complaint.  Any such complaint must be made in writing, and may be submitted via email to or in hardcopy to the Right to Information and Privacy Office.  Before lodging a privacy complaint, you are encouraged to contact the Right to Information and Privacy Office to discuss your concerns.

Please note that you can only make a privacy complaint on another person's behalf (that is, in relation to a suspected breach of privacy in relation to personal information other than your own) if that person has appointed you as his or her agent.

Within 14 days of your complaint being received, the Right to Information and Privacy Office will write to you to acknowledge receipt of your complaint.

Within 45 business days of the receipt of your complaint, the University will notify you in writing of:

  • how your complaint was investigated;
  • the outcome of your complaint; and
  • your rights under the Information Privacy Act 2009 if you are not satisfied with the outcome.

If you don't receive notification of the outcome of your complaint within 45 business days, or if you are not satisfied with the University’s response to your complaint, you may refer your complaint to the Information Commissioner for mediation.

If your complaint is not suitable to be mediated, or you are not satisfied with the mediation, you may ask the Information Commissioner to refer your complaint to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for a review of the conduct that was the subject of your complaint. 

Right to Information & Privacy Office

For RTI & Privacy enquiries, please contact:

Justin Rofe
RTI & Privacy Manager
Ph:        +61 7 3443 1148